Chardonnay
Medalla Real Chardonnay
Valley: Leyda
Vintage

Winemaker's comments

Bright, greenish-yellow in color. Intense and complex bouquet that combines mineral notes with light citrus, nectarines and flowers. The palate stands out for its refreshing acidity that balances nicely with the wine’s fruitiness, good weight, silky texture, and depth.

See details winemaker

Vinification

The grapes were harvested early in the morning in 10 Kg. boxes. Then they were taken to the cellar in refrigerated trucks. Once in the cellar, 100% of the grapes went through a sorting table prior to pressing.  The juice obtained is cold decanted for 12 hours and then racked of the coarse lees. The must start the fermentation in stainless steel tanks and then is transferred to oak barrels to ferment. 45 % of the must is fermented with native yeast and 55% fermented with selected yeast. Once the fermentation is complete, the wine remains in the barrels for 9 months with weekly battonage (lees stirring), twice a week at first and later just once later on.

Technicals details

  • Alcohol (%v/v):  13.2
  • Total Acidity (g/l Tartaric Acid):5.93
  • pH:  3.19
  • Residual Sugar (g/l): 1.67

Winemaker's comments

Bright, intense, olive green in color. The nose features a combination of fresh fruits, some citrus notes, dried fruits, and minerals. It is fresh yet weighty on the palate, with a creamy texture and a long, persistent finish.

See details winemaker

Vinification

25% of the grapes were whole cluster pressed and the remaining 75% were crushed prior to pressing. The must was cold decanted for 12 hours and then separated from its coarse lees, resulting in a must with a high turbidity level, which  was  inoculated  with  selected  yeasts  and  racked  to  barrels  for fermentation. Barrel room temperatures were controlled for a peak of 23ºC (73ºF). Upon completion of the fermentation process, the wine remained in the barrels. The  lees were stirred  twice weekly  in  the beginning and  later reduced to once a week.

Technicals details

Alcohol: 14.5%v/v; T.A.: 6.2 g/l tartaric acid; pH: 3.3; Residual Sugar: 1.77 g/l
Chardonnay
Medalla Real Chardonnay
Vineyard

Location

Cordillera de la Costa. 14 km. from the Pacific Ocean to the south-west of Santiago.

Surface

85 ha.

Varieties

Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir

Climate

Mediterranean thermal conditions. Low temperatures due to proximity to coast.

Average annual temperature

14,2 ºC (58 ºF).

Average annual rainfall

471 mm.

Soil

Clayish, of granite origin, thin, very new.

Annual awards:

Wine Access - May 2011

Date: May 2011

Country: Canada

Vintage: 2009

Award: 89 Points

International Wine Cellar - May 2010

Date: May 2010

Country: USA

Vintage: 2008

Award: 88 Points

Prowein 2010 Tasting - February 2010

Date: February 2010

Country: Germany

Vintage: 2007

Award: 80 points

Wine and Spirits - February 2010

Date: February 2010

Country: USA

Vintage: 2008

Award: 90 points

Comments: “This Chardonnay focuses on ripeness, with lushly textured pineapple and honey flavors… it remains firm, thanks to the mineral acidity that supports the sweetness…”

Wine Spectator - November 2009

Date: November 2009

Country: USA

Vintage: 2007

Award: 87 points

Wine Enthusiast - December 2008

Date: December 2008

Country: USA

Vintage: 2007

Award: 88 points

Wine Spectator - December 2008

Date: December 2008

Country: USA

Vintage: 2007

Award: 87 points

Wine Spectator - February 2008

Date: February 2008

Country: USA

Vintage: 2006

Award: 87 points